- Download the AWTO™ Candidate Handbook (exam documents require a confidentiality agreement)
- AWTO exam application form
- Join us July 10th for the AWTO Certification orientation webinar
Steps to AWTO Certification
Way to go - you're taking steps towards working at an advanced water treatment facility and using the latest technologies. AWT Operators work on complex systems. Municipal water agencies and industrial facilities rely on highly skilled operators to manage the systems reliably.
Many AWTFs are providing their communities with clean, pure drinking water. A critical resource in California and Nevada where are experiencing more frequent droughts.
Professional certification is not easy to obtain, but it's worth it. Obtaining AWTO certification can help you prepare to work at an AWTF; get ready for a promotion; and help you to advance up a career ladder.
The AWT Operator certification was developed by water professionals, for water professionals. It is jointly managed by CA-NV AWWA and CWEA.
Here are the steps to obtaining AWTO certification:
- Read the Candidate Handbook
- Fill-out the Application Form
- Wait for the CA-NV AWWA staff person to confirm your state-issued operator certification/license to qualify for the AWT3™ exam (for AWT4™ and AWT5™ a volunteer committee member will review your experience).
- Watch for the confirmation and exam approval email
- Watch for a message from the testing center explaining the exam sign-up process
- Schedule your exam on the testing center's website using the invitation code they emailed you. Please read their exam instructions carefully
- Exam results are instantaneous at the testing center
- AWT3 – Currently hold a Grade 3 certification for Wastewater Treatment Operator or Water Treatment Operator in California or Nevada
- AWT4 – pass the Grade 3 exam and 2 years of experience with one or more AWT processes
- AWT5 – pass the Grade 4 exam and 3 years of experience ( 2 years experience with one AWT process and 1 additional year with a least 2 AWT processes)
- $250 for CA-NV AWWA and CWEA members
- $350 for non-members
- Renewals are every 3 years
- Demonstrate 24 continuing education hours for advanced water treatment (no more than 25% can be safety related)
- Complete a CA-NV AWWA AWTO certification renewal form (still to come)
- Pricing is t.b.d.
Questions? Please contact us